Sunday, May 11, 2014

Lessons From My Mother

Happy Mother's Day! I'm currently sitting in Grand Forks, approximately 328 miles from my mom. From what I can remember, it's the first Mother's Day I've been away from home. Although our relationship isn't perfect, I love and have learned a lot from my mom. She's actually one of the main reasons I'm in Grand Forks, completing some military training before my pending deployment. She has supported me and prepared me for everything, from when I was a little girl, to planning for the Middle East. She's taught me many lessons, and I wanted to share a few: 


1) Never give up.
As one of the smartest women I know, she's shown me to put all of my effort into everything I do, and to stay positive. As Vince Lombardi said, "winners never quit, and quitters never win." This lesson got me through basic training.

2) Presentation is key. 
You only have one shot at a first impression. Whether it's physical appearance, a resume, or a cake, always make sure it's presentable. Iron your clothes, proofread your resume, and make sure that cake is cooled before you frost it. 

3) Have faith.
No matter how crappy your situation is, someone else always has it worse. Have faith in God, and His timing, and things will work out the way they are supposed to. It's because of this lesson that I found a new military job and have the opportunity to deploy. 


4) Quality over quantity.
It is much more lucrative to buy something that may be a bit more expensive but will last longer than something cheap that will fall apart or break (finding good quality items on sale? Even better.)

5) Listen.
We live in a self-absorbed society (selfie, anyone? I know I'm guilty). It is important to listen to others while they are talking to you. Active listening is a learned skill. Put your phone down. Focus on what they have to say, and it will take you far. 


So thank you, Mom, for helping me become the woman I am today. My strength, dedication to my work, appreciation for God's timing, and shopping abilities come directly from you. Thank you for putting up with me, signing all of my permission slips, making my lunches, reading Little House On The Prairie to me countless times, disciplining me, teaching me everything I know, and being an amazing role model. I love you!




XOXO,

Natalie

No comments :

Post a Comment